As an IMG, you possess a set of skills that are transferable to a wide range of career paths both in and beyond the health care sector. You may not know but by being an IMG, you can package these skills to connect with new opportunities that may, or may not, be related to your current professional field.
These transferable skills include:
- Active listening, interviewing, critical analysis, consultation and research skills to solve problems and make diagnosis
- Verbal and written communication
- Rapport building, empathy and caring
- Lifelong educator and learner
- Organizational skills
- Coordination and collaboration
- Health and patient advocacy
- Facilitation, mediation and negotiation
- Cultural sensitivity and safety
Through its SmartDirections program, AIMGA guides cohorts of IMGs through a series of workshops that provide participants with toolkits and strategies to learn and understand how to utilize transferable skills. After these workshops, participants are paired with selected mentors who can provide guidance on how to best use these transferable skills to address opportunities available in various sectors, including healthcare.